Skip to main content

Appu,where are you?(poem)


Appu,where are you? (poem)

( I returned from a one-month long vacation in India on 15th January.My cat was missing.)


25 January 2013

Ten days have passed,
Since we came back
But you are not here
It was your custom
To be back in 2-3 days.
You had your calculations
And intution,to be find us here
After a long separation,as usual
But this time,did your calculations
Go wrong?Or did we calculate wrongly?
As days pass by,my heart beats faster
Fearing the unthinkable
I'm ever alert,day and night
Eager to hear your miaoo sound
And to feel your affectionate rubbing
On my feet,to see your acrobatics
And scratching on my feet

Celebrating our reunion
Are you gone for ever
Into the dark unknown?
The beacon of hope still burns
Though with less glow
Now I realise something amiss
Some accident,or something sinister
Or did you reject me,being annoyed
For my long absence? No, you can't do that
You were born here,and brought up here
You have your roots here;this is sweet home
Then why don't you appear?
Did you stray into eternity?
Never to return,never to reclaim your kingdom?
Hope is still alive,burning like 'amar jyothi'
Haven't we heard incredible stories
Of trapped miners returning to the surface
From the dark,unfathomable underworld
And of people buried in the rubble of earthquakes
Hauled alive,even after 30 days
So I hope,one day you will surface,miraculously
Kannil ennayozhichu njan kathirikkam
Oru suprabhathathil ninne kani kanan.

26 January,2013

It is Republic Day.What a happy coincidence that the Republic Day is on
a Saturday.Besides,it's a special day in South Africa for teachers,having
received our salaries on the 25th,with the 'moneynadam' on the cell phones,
after a long gap.

At 6.15 a.m,I heard a 'miaoo'sound outside.I opened the door and looked around.Appu was staring at me.I was greatly astonished and relieved.I went
near him expecting passionate expressions of affection.But he moved away,making some complaining sounds just like the one he did when we were
about to depart on 14 December.As I moved forward to coax him,he moved away
faster,and disappeared.I called him repeatedly,but there was no response.

I didn't expect the negative response from Appu.Anyway,I was very relieved,
because,at least,he was alive and back.Later,I went to my portuguese friend
Johny's cafe and bought one litre fresh milk and a can of high quality catfood.I called Appu again and again,but there was no response.

At 11,30 a.m,I spotted Appu under some dry flower plants.As I called him,he
withdrew deeper among the plants.I showed him the dish full of fresh milk,but
he was not interested.With gentle touches on his body,I coaxed him into moving near the dish.Finally,he licked the milk.But his body language showed
utter displeasure and resentment.

With gentle touches,I appeased him again,and we were friends again.

I learnt a lesson from him.He has very strong feelings,and he is able to express them.He knows how to protest,and even to embark on a hunger strike.
I can't bribe him easily with fresh milk,even if he is starving.He has taught me that I should never underestimate or ignore him.He remembered me even when I had forgotten him.

The following conversation took place between Appu and me.

Appu

Now you have come back with nice words and fresh milk.I'm not impressed.Where
were you for one full month? Did you ever spare a thought for me? You left
without making any arrangements with Johny for fresh milk.I was here every
alternate day.Paul,your gardener,gave me some tasteless catfood.You already
know that I don't like that cheap stuff.

Kuri

Sorry,da.I had thought about arranging fresh milk for you.Unfortunately,on
the day of my departure,I was so busy with preparations that I forgot it.
Furthermore,you have a habit of absenteeism.Last year,you were here once in a
blue moon,just like some of our parliamentarians.Often,I used to keep milk
and catfood for you,but due to your absence,outsiders consumed it.The root
problem is your womanising adventures.

Appu

That's none of your business,man.

Kuri.

paul told me that you ate all that cheap stuff.

Appu

I had no option."Gathi kettal puli pullum thinnum.(If there's no alternative,
a leopard will eat grass)

Kuri

Sorry,man.In future,I shall make sure that you are well fed.

Appu

I'm fed up with your empty promises."palam kadakkuvolum Narayana,Narayana.
Palam kadannu kazhinjal koorayana,koorayana.( while crossing the bridge,you

say Narayana,Narayana,but after you have crossed,you say koorayana,koorayana.)

Kuri

Take it easy,pal.Let bygones be bygones.

Appu

Ok.Let's forget the past.

( we shake hands)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

വൈഗ കൊലക്കേസ് (Viewpoint)

 കേരളത്തിൽ ഹാപ്പി ആയിരിക്കാൻ സാധിക്കുമോ? Yes ഉം No യും പറയാൻ സാധിക്കും. നമ്മുടെ പേഴ്‌സണൽ ചുറ്റുപാടുകൾ അനുകൂലവും ഹാപ്പിയും ആയിരിക്കാം. പക്ഷേ രാജ്യത്തു നടക്കുന്ന സംഭവങ്ങൾ വീക്ഷിക്കുമ്പോൾ മനസാക്ഷിയും മനുഷ്യത്വവും ഉള്ള ആളുകൾക്ക് unhappy ആകാനെ കഴിയൂ. പുതിയ സിനിമകൾ വരുന്നു, കുറേ കഴിഞ്ഞ് നമ്മൾ അവയെ മറക്കുന്നു. ഇതുപോലെയാണ് കൊലക്കേസുകളും. ഉത്തര എന്ന യുവതിയെ ഭർത്താവ് പാമ്പിനെ ഉപയോഗിച്ച് കടിപ്പിച്ചു കൊന്നത് രണ്ട് വർഷം മുൻപാണ്. കൂടത്തായിയും വാർത്തകളിൽ നിറഞ്ഞു നിന്നു.പുതിയ കേസുകൾ വന്നപ്പോൾ അവ പഴയ സിനിമകൾ പോലെ ആയി. ഇപ്പോഴിതാ വൈഗ കൊലക്കേസ് നാടിനെ ഞെട്ടിച്ചിരിക്കുന്നു. ക്രിമിനോളജി വീട്ടിലിരുന്ന് പരസഹായം കൂടാതെ  പഠിക്കാവുന്ന ഒരു വിഷയമാണ്. കേരളത്തിലെ കേസുകൾ പഠിച്ചാൽ മതി. ഒരു കൊലയാളി ഒരേ സമയം ഒരു മണ്ടനും ബുദ്ധിമാനും ആണ്. കൊല ഭംഗിയായി ചെയ്യുന്നതിനും തെളിവ് നശിപ്പിക്കുന്നതിനും അയാൾ ബുദ്ധിമാനാണ്. സ്വന്തം കുട്ടിയെ കൊന്ന സനു മോഹൻ ആ കൊലയിൽ ബുദ്ധി പ്രയോഗിച്ചു. പിടിക്കപ്പെടാതെ 27 ദിവസം പല സംസ്ഥാനങളിൽ കറങ്ങി. മൊബൈലും ATM കാർഡും ഉപയോഗിച്ചില്ല. എന്നാൽ കൊല്ലൂരിൽ ഒരു ഹോട്ടലിൽ  സ്വന്തം ആധാർ കൊടുത്തു. അത് മണ്ടത്തരം. ഹോ

കേരളത്തിൽ hotel room ദൗർലഭ്യം (satire)

 കേരളത്തിൽ തിരഞ്ഞെടുപ്പ് പടിവാതിലിൽ എത്തി .എല്ലാ arrangements ഉം OK. പക്ഷേ ഒരു problem. ടിക്കാ റാം മീണയുടെ ലിസ്റ്റിൽ പ്പെട്ട മരിച്ച വിശ്വാസികൾ, Devils, angels എല്ലാം കൂട്ടം കൂട്ടമായി ലാൻഡ് ചെയ്തു തുടങ്ങി. ഹോട്ടൽ മുറികൾ എല്ലാം നിറഞ്ഞു.ചിലരെ Home stay യിൽ accommodate ചെയ്തു. Room shortage പ്രോബ്ലെം solve ചെയ്യാൻഒരു ഹോട്ടൽ മാനേജർക്ക് ഒരു നല്ല idea തോന്നി. ഒരു Devil ന് allocate ചെയ്ത മുറിയിൽ ഒരു extra bed ഇട്ട് ഒരു മാലാഖ കുട്ടിയെ accommodate ചെയ്യുക. ഇത് കേട്ടപ്പോൾ Devils തുള്ളി ചാടി. പക്ഷേ മാലാഖ കുട്ടികൾ reject ചെയ്തു. പീഡനം ഉണ്ടാകുമെന്നാണ് അവർക്ക് പേടി. ഒരു മരിച്ച വിശ്വാസി താൻ പണി കഴിപ്പിച്ച5000square feet house ൽ ചെന്ന് സ്വയം പരിചയപ്പെടുത്തി. മരുമകൾ പറഞ്ഞു. " What the Hell are you talking about?നിങ്ങൾക്ക് വീട് തെറ്റിപ്പോയി. അവൾ ശക്തിയായി door അടച്ചു. Extra rooms ഉള്ളവർ അത് visitors ന് വിട്ടു കൊടുക്കണം എന്ന് collector ടെ അഭ്യർത്ഥന വന്നു. എനിക്ക് അലിവ് തോന്നി. ഞങൾ ക്ക് 3bed റൂം vacant ആണ്.18നും 25നും ഇടയ്ക്ക് പ്രായമുള്ള 12 മാലാഖ പെണ്കുട്ടികളെ accommodate ചെയ്യണം. എന്റെ മനസ്സിൽ നക്ഷത്

Port Elizabeth-2 (യാത്ര)

Saturday,25  March 2017 മഴയുടെ കുറവുകൊണ്ടു വരണ്ടുണങ്ങി, നിറം മങ്ങിയ അവസ്ഥയിലാണ് P E. അല്പം ഒരു ആശ്വാസമായി വെള്ളിയാഴ്ച്ച ഒരു ചെറിയ മഴ പെയ്തു. അതുകൊണ്ട് ശനിയാഴ്ച്ച രാവിലെ അല്പ്പം തണുപ്പുള്ള, എന്നാൽ സൂര്യ പ്രകാശമുള്ള ,പ്രസന്നമായ കാലാവസ്‌ഥ ആയിരുന്നു. ബീച്ചിൽ ഒരു കൂട്ടനടപ്പ് ഉണ്ട്. അതിൽ പങ്കെടുക്കാൻ പോയി. ലോകത്തിലെ ഏതു ബീച്ചിനോടും കിട പിടിക്കുന്നതാണ്  ഇവിടത്തെ ബീച്ചുകൾ .വിശ്രമത്തിനും വിനോദത്തിനും വേണ്ടി റോഡിന് ഒരു വശത്തു ഒരു പാർക്ക് പോലെ രൂപകൽപ്പന ചെയ്തിരിക്കുന്നു. നാലടി വീതിയിൽ അങ്ങോട്ടും ഇങ്ങോട്ടും നടപ്പാത ഉണ്ട്. ഇത് അനേകം kms നീണ്ടു കിടക്കുകയാണ്. Fitness ൻറെ ബോധവൽക്കാരണത്തിനു വേണ്ടിയാണ് കൂട്ടനടപ്പ്‌ സംഘടിപ്പിച്ചിരിക്കുന്നത്. Website ൽ Register ചെയ്ത് electronic chip കിട്ടിയവരും അല്ലാത്തവരും പങ്കെടുക്കുന്നുണ്ട്. എല്ലാവരും Starting point ൽ ഒത്തുകൂടി. എല്ലാ പ്രായക്കാരും ഉണ്ട്. ചിലർ പട്ടികളെയും കൊണ്ടുവന്നിട്ടുണ്ട്. ശല്യക്കാരല്ല. ചില നിർദ്ദേശങ്ങൾക്കു ശേഷം നടപ്പ്‌ തുടങ്ങി.ഇടത്തു വശത്തു ഇരമ്പുന്ന കടൽ. മനോഹരമായ പ്രഭാതം. വലത്തു വശത്തു തിരക്കും ശബ്ദവും ഇല്ലാത്ത റോഡ്. എല്ലാവരും ഉത്സാഹത്തോ