Skip to main content

The Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Biblical Play)

       THIS PLAY WAS FIRST PUBLISHED ON 30 -03-2013


                            The  Resurrection  of  Jesus  Christ  ( Biblical  play )


N.B This play is not based  on historical  facts.

The  characters:

1. Joseph  of  Arimethea          a  wealthy  and influential  businessman,who is a disciple
                                                 of  Jesus  Christ.( 50)

2.  Lydia                                    Joseph's   wife   ( 45 )

3  Serafina                                 Joseph's  daughter  (18)

4 Samson                                   A  Roman sldier   ( 40)

5  Gregory                                  A  Roman  soldier  ( 35)

Servants   of  Joseph

                                            SCENE     1  Joseph's  mansion.Lydia  is engaged in household
chores,instructing  several  servants ,who occasionally  come and go. Serafina is reading.
After a few minutes,enter  Joseph,followed by several  servants  carrying bags  and bundles
Joseph is a well-built  man.He is very exhausted  after  a long jouney.Lydia and Serafina
welcome him.

                                                      Serafina
Pappa,how  was your journey?
                                                  Lydia
What  do you  want to drink?
                                                 Joseph
 Give me a glass  of water. I'm very tired.
                                              Lydia
Can  I  put  the  food  on  the table.You  must be very hungry.

                                               Joseph
Not now.Let  me  get settled  first.This  is not a good time  to relax or sleep.
                                                Serafina
What  do  you mean Pappa?
                                              Joseph
Haven't  you heard  what's  happening around us? Haven't you seen....?
                                               Serafina
You  mean  what happened  to  Jesus ? It's a sad  story.
                                                 Joseph
I'm  devastated  by  what has happened
                                               Lydia
It's  all over.
                                              Joseph
It's  not over.This is only  the beginning.From today,the  world  won't  be the same again.

                                              Serafina

   How ?
                                           Joseph
It's  the beginning  of  a saga  of great  events.But  I regret  that  I couldn't  do anything
to  prevent this  tragedy.If  I were  present here,I  would have  done something,using
my friendship with  Pilate.I  should not have gone to Damascus..
                                            Lydia
You couln't  have done anything.The crowds  were baying  for the blood of Jesus.
After all, how  does it concern you  so much?
                                             Joseph
Lydia,you don't  understand .Serafina,bring me some more water.
                                             Serafina
Yes,I will.
                                             Joseph
Now I have  to do something to atone  for my  lapse.I must go immediately to
Pilate to get permission  to  claim Jesus's body.
                                              Lydia
No,you  shouldn't  go now.You need rest  and sleep after a long journey.
                                             Joseph
How  can I take rest when  my conscience is pricking  me,blaming  me for doing nothing
when  an innocent man  was falsely  accused  and crucified...I feel  a  sense of guilt.I can't
rest  until I have done  something.So I'm  going to Pilate now.
                                               Lydia
Why  do you get  involved  in these  controversial  matters,which  could entangle you
 in deep trouble.It's very  risky  to offend the high priests and elders.
                                                  Joseph
Come  what may,I  have to do my duty.First,I have to find a place  to give a dignified
burial to Jesus.It's really  a problem.The public cemetry  won't  be available because they
don't allow executed  criminals  to be buried there.
                                                   Lydia
I  have heard  that there's  a dark corner of  the  Public  cemetry,which is reserved  for
executed  criminals.You  know,'the themmadykuzhy'.It'll  be available.
                                                  Joseph
( angrily ) How can you  say such things about Jesus.He was our king,but people like
you don't  understand it.I  want  to give  him a dignified  burial,befitting a king.
                                                    Serafina
 Then, I have a suggestion.
                                                   Joseph
      What ?
                                                  Serafina
   We  have  our own family  tomb that you built..
                                                  Joseph
 Rightly  said.This  idea didn't strike  me.Thanks Serafina,for your suggestion.Our family
tomb  is the best in the country.Cut  out of solid rock.A  work of art.Yea,it is suitable
for a king.Suggestion accepted.
                                                  Lydia
No,it's  not acceptable to me.It was built  exclusively  for our family members.Not for
outsiders.
                                                Serafina
Mummy ,you don't  understand .It's a great honour  for us.Jesus is not an outsider.He is
part of us.
                                               Lydia
No no no.I'll oppose this with tooth  and nail.If  Jesus is buried in our tomb,it'll become
unclean.( ashudham)
                                             Joseph
It's  your  mind that's unclean.You  must cleanse your mind ,of your prejudices,your intolerance
and  hatred.
                                              Lydia
I  don't  agree.
                                             Joseph
Your  disagreement  is  over-ruled.In  this  house,my word is final.It's already  too late.
                                             Lydia
I have my  objections  about this.
                                              Joseph
It's too late.Lydia,I need some fine linen,olive oil and perfumes to prepare Jesus's body for
funeral.
                                             Lydia
I can give you the linen and the oil,but I can't  give you the perfumes.
                                              Joseph
Give  me what you have.I'll  replace them.
                                              Lydia
The perfumes I have are very expensive  and rare.I  bought them in Arabia.
                                              Joseph
That's why  I  want  them. Perfumes suitable  for a king.
                                              Serafina
Don't  waste time arguing.I shall give you all my perfumes.They are also equally nice.
   ( she goes to her bed room and  brings a handful of perfumes.)
                                                Lydia
I'll  never buy you any  perfumes.
                                               Serafina
Never  mind.Today's need is more important.
                                              Joseph
I'm  going to Pilate right now.
                                             Serafina
I'm  coming with  you.
                                        Lydia
Serafina,there's  no need for you to go. You have a lot to study. Remember,your exams
are  starting  on Monday.
                                          Serafina
Mummy,I'm already prepared for the exams.Studies  can wait.For me,it's more important
to be part of  this great event.
                                        Joseph
Let's go.We are racing against  time.
    ( Joseph and serafina leave.two servants  follow them.)
           
                           THE  CURTAIN  FALLS

                                      SCENE  2
A  room  in  Pilate's  palace.Pilate  paces  up and  down  in deep  thought.( knocking
is heard at the door.Enter  Joseph  and  Serafina.Pilate  hugs Joseph  excitedly,)

                                       Pilate

What  a  surprise!Long time not see....You  are  most  welcome.Where  have you
been  so long,without  any information ?
                                          Joseph

I  was  in  Damascus. A  business trip.
                                           Pilate
And  who is this pretty girl?
                                               Joseph
This  is my daughter,Serafina.
                                              Pilate
You are  most welcome.What  can I  do  for you ,friend ?
                                            Joseph
I'm  very  cross  with  you ,Pilate.
                                           Pilate
What  for ? What  have  I  done ?                
                                           Joseph
You  gave an innocent  sheep  to the hounds.
                                           Pilate
 You  mean  Jesus of   Nazareth ?
                                            Joseph
Yes. You  could  have saved  him.
                                          Pilate
You  don't  understand  the  dilemma  I  was in.I  tried all  means to save Jesus.Njan
Padicha pani pathinettum  nokki.But the Pharasees  and  the High priests outwitted me.
I  was  between the  devil  and the deep sea.
                                           Joseph
You  could have stayed the excecution.If I knew what  was going on here,I would have
arranged for bail  for Jesus,for  any amount,and on my personal surety.
                                            Pilate
Joseph,I kept my cards close to my chest until the last.But the chanakya thanthras of
the High  priests and elders prevailed.When  I cast my trump card,ie the provision of
the release  of a prisoner on  Passover,I calculated that the people  would support Jesus.
But the high priests and elders  had already instigated the people to demand the release
of that convicted killer,Barabbas..Then my strategy  fell like a pack of cards. I have a
clean chest in this matter.
                                                 Joseph
I  believe  you  Pilate.But I have one request.I  want to  give Jesus  a  decent  burial. I want
your permission  to claim  the  dead body.
                                                 Pilate
 why not? I shall  write  a  letter to this  effect.( He takes  pen and paper and  writes  a letter.)
Where's my seal ? ( he searches here and there,but  doesn't  find it).This  cursed old age..
nowadays I forget everything.Anyway,the seal is not compulsory.Everybody  knows my
handwriting and  my signature. ( gives the letter  to  Joseph )
                                                  Joseph
Thanks  a lot  Pilate.I have  to rush.I'm late.

                                                 Pilate
When you  are free,come  for a visit.With the  whole family.
                                                Joseph
Of course,we will come when the present  turbulance  is over.
            ( exit  Joseph and  Serafina )
                                             
                            THE   CURTAIN  FALLS


                                      

                                           SCENE  3  GOLGOTHA

The place of Jesus's  crucifiction.It's  about  6 PM.On the right,the lower part of the
blood-stained  cross is seen.To the right,Samson  and Gregory,Roman Soldiers,sit
on foldable camp chairs.In front of them is a camping table.They are drinking liquor,
and eating  large pieces  of meat.They are already  drunk,and a bit unsteady.
                                                
                                                   Samson
 Nobody  has come to collect the dead body. What now?
                                                   Gregory
 We shall wait until  7 Pm,and if nobody  comes to claim the corpse,we  shall give
 Jesus a pauper's funeral.In the purampokku.( wasteland)
                                                   Samson
But  who will  dig  the grave ?
                                                   Gregory
We shall  force  some passersby  to do the job,as we forced one Simon to carry the cross.
                                                   Samson
 But  we made some  Himalayan  blunders.
                                                    Gregory
 What  blunders?
                                                   Samson
 We  could  have  made some  quick bucks using Jesus's dead body
                                                   Gregory
Come again.I don't  get you.
                                                 Samson
( looking  around,and in a hushed voice )
                                        You know this Jesus was only 33 years old.In perfect health,
We  could have sold his heart and kidneys   and  pocketed a fat amount in the international
smuggling market.
                                             Gregory
Damn it.We were not clever enough to make hay when the sun shined.But ,can't we do
it now ?
                                               Samson
No it's already  too late.The  organs  should have been removed within  one hour
after death.                             Gregory

A  golden  opportunity  missed!
                                                  Samson
But  there are other chances.You know,human body parts are highly in demand in Europe
as  well as in Africa,for  witchcraft, Satanism,black magic and muti.Haven't you heard the
song:
            Liver of blaspheming  Jew
            Nose of Turk and Tartar's lips
            Finger of birth-strangled babe
            Fillet of a black Mamba
            Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
            ha ha ha

           Gregory

I know that song.Really nice. Ha,ha ,ha.
                       Samson
We  shall do it then
                         Gregory
Yea,we shall do it  when it becomes  darker.

( enter Joseph  of Arimathea,Serafina and two servants.They all look up at the cross.
Joseph and Serafina are overcome with grief.Serafina is able to control her grief,but
Joseph caves in.He embraces the cross,and weeps.Looking up again,he sobs,and slumps to
the ground.Serafina consoles him.He picks up some blood-stained soil from the ground
and stands up,holding the soil in both hands.

                                                    Joseph
His innocent  blood has cleansed the earth.
                                                     Serafina
Don't cry pappa.Be the strong man you are. Jesus will come back.Believe,and we'll
see him again.
                                                    Joseph
I  believe.I  strongly believe that  he will come back to us.

                                                     Samson
Hey,who is there? What do you  want here?
                                                  Joseph
I'm  Joseph of Arimathea.I have come to collect Jesus's dead body.
                                                   Gregory
And  who is this girl with you?
                                                   Joseph
My daughter, Serafina.
                                                   Samson
((ogling   Serafina )   Pennu tharakkedillallo.The girl is super.
                                                Gregory
( shows some signs of sexual nature) ( Aside)  ee thanthaye vakavaruthiyal  ee malakha kochine
namukku  enjoy cheyyam.If we can eliminate the father,we can enjoy the girl.
                                                Joseph
Can  I take the dead body of Jesus ?
                                                Samson
Do you have the necessary  documents  to collect the dead body?
                                                 Joseph
Yes,I have the letter from Pilate. (gives  the letter )

( Samson examines the letter very carefully )

                                     Samson
This letter  is not enough.This  doesn't  have the official  seal of  Pilate.
                                     Joseph
Pilate   wrote the letter himself,in my presence.He said the stamp is not necessary because
  the  whole country  knows his handwriting  and signature.
                                     Gregory
No,we  can't  accept  this.Go  back to  Pilate,and get this stamped.
                                      Sampson
Yea,leave the girl here as a surety ,and go.(he ogles Serafina.She looks away in disgust)
                                       Joseph
It's too late.Show some kindness ,I beg you...Please..Release  the dead body.
                                       Samson
No ways.We  strictly  adhere to the law.Even if the letter is stamped,it's not enough.You
should attach attested copies  of your ID card,ration card,Adhar,Income Tax Certificate,
NOC  from your employer,birth certificate of the decesed,Post mortem report,two passport
size photos,.....

                                                  Joseph
( to Serafina) Ivanmar  ennekkondu  vattakkottayil vellam korikkunna lakshanamanu
 kanunnathu.I mean  they are suggesting the impossible.Things  cannot continue in this way
                                                 Serafina
What shall we do now? It's already late.
                                                  Joseph
Wait   and  see....
                                               Sampson
I  forgot  the most important  thing,the  death  Certificate.
                                                Joseph
(angrily)  You  killed him,and now you demand the Death Certificate.Are you
 humans or monsters?
                                              Sampson
Hey,control  your tongue,or else..
                                               Joseph
What would  you  do ?
                                       Sampson
Enkil nee vivaram  ariyum.You'll  face the consequences.
                                        Joseph
My time is running out,and my patience too.( to the servants) Bring down Jesus's
dead  body) Quickly.

    ( Samson and  Gregory  rise from their chairs)
                                         Samson
 Stop,you can't do that ,without  my approval.

(  Sampson  points his  spear at Joseph,ready  to charge.Joseph   seizes the spear, and
  breaks it into two pieces,and throws the pieces away.Gregory  charges at Joseph unsteadily.
Joseph  seizes the spear,and throws it away.There's a scuffle.Sampson  falls to the ground.
Joseph seizes Gregory's neck,and thrusts  Pilates letter into his mouth.)
                                              Serafina
 Stop,Pappa, leave these scum .
                                              Joseph
Run,bastards,run....for your lives!
 ( Sampson and  Gregory  run away.Jesus's body is brought down.Joseph covers the body
 with white cloth.The  body is carried  away.)

                        THE  CURTAIN   FALLS

                                      SCENE  4

   The tomb  of Jesus.It's  Sunday,before daybreak.Thin  streaks of light begin to
 appear in the horizon.The visibility  is very poor.Enter  Mary Magdalene and the other
Mary,carrying flowers and perfumes.A few minutes later,enter  Serafina,with a basket
full of flowers.
                                         Mary Magdalene
  ( to Serafina)  Are you the daughter of Joseph  of Arimathea?
                                         Serafina
Yes I am.
                                        Mary Magdalene

Why  are you here so early in the morning? Where's your mother?
                                           Serafina
Mother is still sleeping.I have come to put these flowers on Jesus's tomb.
                                         Mary  Magdalene
Our problem is how to remove the big stone.

  Thunder  and lightning.There's a powerful  wind blowing.The three women are swayed
by the wind.They  hold on to some plants,trying to balance themselves.The sound of  big
trees being uprooted.There's a total blackout.Then  calm,and brightness.The  big stone
has  shifted from its place.An angel  sits on the stone.
                                            Angel
Do not be afraid.I know  you are looking  for Jesus,who was crucified.He is not here;
he has been raised,just as he said.Come  and see where he was lying.Go quickly now,
and tell his disciples,'He has been raised from  death,and now he is going  to Galilee
ahead  of you;there you will  see him!'Remember  what I have told you.

Lights  fade.The angel disappears.A blackout,and it's brightness again.
Enter  Jesus.

                                                 Jesus
Peace  be with you.
   (the  three women  kneel  down)
Do not be afraid.Who is this girl?
                                             Mariam  Magdelene
This  is Serafina,daughter  of Joseph  of Arimathea.
                                          Jesus
He is my  close  friend .Greet him and tell him that  I'm very pleased with him.
                                         Serafina
 I'll  do so.
                                         Jesus
Go  and  tell my brothers to go to Galilee,and there they will see me.
                                         Mary  Magdalene
We  will  do so.
                                        THE  CURTAIN  FALLS
                                         THE    END

                                                

                                    
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

വൈഗ കൊലക്കേസ് (Viewpoint)

 കേരളത്തിൽ ഹാപ്പി ആയിരിക്കാൻ സാധിക്കുമോ? Yes ഉം No യും പറയാൻ സാധിക്കും. നമ്മുടെ പേഴ്‌സണൽ ചുറ്റുപാടുകൾ അനുകൂലവും ഹാപ്പിയും ആയിരിക്കാം. പക്ഷേ രാജ്യത്തു നടക്കുന്ന സംഭവങ്ങൾ വീക്ഷിക്കുമ്പോൾ മനസാക്ഷിയും മനുഷ്യത്വവും ഉള്ള ആളുകൾക്ക് unhappy ആകാനെ കഴിയൂ. പുതിയ സിനിമകൾ വരുന്നു, കുറേ കഴിഞ്ഞ് നമ്മൾ അവയെ മറക്കുന്നു. ഇതുപോലെയാണ് കൊലക്കേസുകളും. ഉത്തര എന്ന യുവതിയെ ഭർത്താവ് പാമ്പിനെ ഉപയോഗിച്ച് കടിപ്പിച്ചു കൊന്നത് രണ്ട് വർഷം മുൻപാണ്. കൂടത്തായിയും വാർത്തകളിൽ നിറഞ്ഞു നിന്നു.പുതിയ കേസുകൾ വന്നപ്പോൾ അവ പഴയ സിനിമകൾ പോലെ ആയി. ഇപ്പോഴിതാ വൈഗ കൊലക്കേസ് നാടിനെ ഞെട്ടിച്ചിരിക്കുന്നു. ക്രിമിനോളജി വീട്ടിലിരുന്ന് പരസഹായം കൂടാതെ  പഠിക്കാവുന്ന ഒരു വിഷയമാണ്. കേരളത്തിലെ കേസുകൾ പഠിച്ചാൽ മതി. ഒരു കൊലയാളി ഒരേ സമയം ഒരു മണ്ടനും ബുദ്ധിമാനും ആണ്. കൊല ഭംഗിയായി ചെയ്യുന്നതിനും തെളിവ് നശിപ്പിക്കുന്നതിനും അയാൾ ബുദ്ധിമാനാണ്. സ്വന്തം കുട്ടിയെ കൊന്ന സനു മോഹൻ ആ കൊലയിൽ ബുദ്ധി പ്രയോഗിച്ചു. പിടിക്കപ്പെടാതെ 27 ദിവസം പല സംസ്ഥാനങളിൽ കറങ്ങി. മൊബൈലും ATM കാർഡും ഉപയോഗിച്ചില്ല. എന്നാൽ കൊല്ലൂരിൽ ഒരു ഹോട്ടലിൽ  സ്വന്തം ആധാർ കൊടുത്തു. അത് മണ്ടത്തരം. ഹോ

കേരളത്തിൽ hotel room ദൗർലഭ്യം (satire)

 കേരളത്തിൽ തിരഞ്ഞെടുപ്പ് പടിവാതിലിൽ എത്തി .എല്ലാ arrangements ഉം OK. പക്ഷേ ഒരു problem. ടിക്കാ റാം മീണയുടെ ലിസ്റ്റിൽ പ്പെട്ട മരിച്ച വിശ്വാസികൾ, Devils, angels എല്ലാം കൂട്ടം കൂട്ടമായി ലാൻഡ് ചെയ്തു തുടങ്ങി. ഹോട്ടൽ മുറികൾ എല്ലാം നിറഞ്ഞു.ചിലരെ Home stay യിൽ accommodate ചെയ്തു. Room shortage പ്രോബ്ലെം solve ചെയ്യാൻഒരു ഹോട്ടൽ മാനേജർക്ക് ഒരു നല്ല idea തോന്നി. ഒരു Devil ന് allocate ചെയ്ത മുറിയിൽ ഒരു extra bed ഇട്ട് ഒരു മാലാഖ കുട്ടിയെ accommodate ചെയ്യുക. ഇത് കേട്ടപ്പോൾ Devils തുള്ളി ചാടി. പക്ഷേ മാലാഖ കുട്ടികൾ reject ചെയ്തു. പീഡനം ഉണ്ടാകുമെന്നാണ് അവർക്ക് പേടി. ഒരു മരിച്ച വിശ്വാസി താൻ പണി കഴിപ്പിച്ച5000square feet house ൽ ചെന്ന് സ്വയം പരിചയപ്പെടുത്തി. മരുമകൾ പറഞ്ഞു. " What the Hell are you talking about?നിങ്ങൾക്ക് വീട് തെറ്റിപ്പോയി. അവൾ ശക്തിയായി door അടച്ചു. Extra rooms ഉള്ളവർ അത് visitors ന് വിട്ടു കൊടുക്കണം എന്ന് collector ടെ അഭ്യർത്ഥന വന്നു. എനിക്ക് അലിവ് തോന്നി. ഞങൾ ക്ക് 3bed റൂം vacant ആണ്.18നും 25നും ഇടയ്ക്ക് പ്രായമുള്ള 12 മാലാഖ പെണ്കുട്ടികളെ accommodate ചെയ്യണം. എന്റെ മനസ്സിൽ നക്ഷത്

Mossel Bay യാത്ര -1

Port Elizabethൽ നിന്നും 336 kms അകലെയുള്ള ഒരു തീരദേശ പട്ടണമാണ് Mossel Bay. സൗത്ത് ആഫ്രിക്കയിലെ തീരദേശ പട്ടണങ്ങളും പരിസര പ്രദേശങ്ങളും ടൂറിസത്തിന്  വളരെ പ്രാധാന്യം ഉള്ളവയാണ്. Mossel Bay യിൽ നിന്ന് ഏകദേശം400 Kms പോയാൽ Cape Town ആണ്. കഴിഞ്ഞ വെള്ളിയാഴ്ച്ച   ഉച്ച കഴിഞ്ഞ് Mossel Bay യിലേക്ക് പുറപ്പെട്ടു. കാർ boot നിറയെ സാധനങ്ങൾ ഉണ്ട്. സൗത്ത് ആഫ്രിക്കയിൽ യാത്ര ചെയ്യുമ്പോൾ ജാക്കറ്റ്, സ്വെറ്റർ, shoes എന്നിവ വേണം. ഏതുസമയത്തും തണുപ്പും കാറ്റും ഉണ്ടാകാം. Cooking നുള്ള ചില സാധനങ്ങളും എടുക്കണം. അങ്ങനെയാണ് luggage കൂടുന്നത്. Mercedes C 180യിൽ ആണ് യാത്ര. നല്ല കാറും നല്ല റോഡും ചേരുമ്പോൾ യാത്ര വളരെ enjoyable ആണ്.നോക്കെത്താദൂരത്തിൽ നീണ്ടു നിവർന്ന് കിടക്കുന്ന ഹൈവേ. വളവും തിരിവും കയറ്റവും കുറവ്.120,140km സ്പീഡിൽ ഓടിച്ചുപോകാം. എന്നാൽ town കൾ അടുക്കുമ്പോൾ overspeed ആയാൽ fine ഉറപ്പാണ്. Police നിരീക്ഷണം ഉണ്ട്. റോഡിന് ഇരുവശവും കുറ്റി ചെടികളും കാട്ടുപൂക്കളും ഉള്ള ചെറു വനങ്ങളും Cattle ഫാമുകളും ഉണ്ട്.ചിലയിടങ്ങളിൽ മനോഹരമായ മലനിരകളും നീല കടലും കാണാം. ഈ പ്രദേശത്തിന്റെ ഒരു ഭാഗത്തിന് Garden Route എന്ന് പറയുന്നു