Skip to main content

"OOPERVALE" (skit)


' OOPERVALE'

In Malayalam we say,"Palam kadakkuvolam Narayana,Narayana;Palam kadannu kazhinjal Koorayana,Koorayana."It means,when we have a crisis,we earnestly pray to God to overcome the crisis,but when it's over,we reagard God with indifference,or forget Him altogether.I'm not sure whether this is True or false,but in our attitude to Time,it's entirely true.Some of us,who are absent-minded,lazy,careless or irresponsible,sometimes confront some situations in which we beg Time to be merciful and to be on our side,but,after solving the problem,we forget our benefactor until the next crisis erupts.

I call Time 'oopervale',which means GOD in Hindi.In Hindi films,some characters say,'sub oopervale ke hathom me hei'( fogive my poor Hindi).Have you ever noticed that Time's (clock) place on the wall in our homes is on par with that of Jesus Christ and the saints.Even if we don't call Time God,at least give him sainthood.When we raise our eyes to pray,Saint Time is also watching us.That's why I call him 'oopervale'.Some people explain their successes as a result of 'good timing'.

In my house,Time has occupied an honourable postion,in the form of clocks of different shapes and sizes on the wall,and various time pieces placed at strategic spots.All these are my wife's collections.Perhaps she wants to beat me in my strange but favourite collection of padlocks.(Mr Azhikath Ninan knows the whole story).Even though I don't give padlocks as gifts,Leelamma's favorite gift item is the clock.I think the clock is also an election symbol in india.With thousands of candidates in the fray,and all imaginable symbols having been exhausted,even the needle is an election symbol in India,especially for splinter parties.Anyway,the clock's (Time's) place is assured above or equal to others.Hence 'oopervale'or uppermost.

Sometimes I advise my wife,"Clocks are outdated.A cell phone can do the functions of a clock."

But she doesn't buy my suggestion.In Dubai she bought a watch because there was a special offer of a clock together with it.

Strange are the ways of our thinking.When there is drought,we pray for rain,and when the floods come,we pray for relief from it.When we wait for a train,we wish if it could arrive a few minutes earlier.On other occasions,when we are late for the train,we pray for its late arrival,if possible.

We always hear,'Time is running out','a race against Time',Time is money','Procastination is the thief of Time'etc. In the first two,it's nearly literal,ie we run alongside trains to find our seats;we race our cars to reach some destination before the deadline.unfortunately,some overspeeding motorists don't reach their destnations.The race against Time turns into a race against Death,where the latter emerges victorious.

Morning is the ideal time for prayer.In addition to praying to God in Heaven,I pray to St.Time or hereafter called 'oopervale',to show mercy on me.This is from 5.45 to 6.45 am,when I get ready to go to school.Don't think that I'm too lazy to wake up.Indeed I'm an early riser,at 4am or even before.From then upto 5.45,I'm in Kerala.By this I mean,I watch Malayalam Tv channels to see what's happening in our state.With very few malayalee friends around,Malyalam TV channels are the source of listening to Malayalam.From 5.45 to 6.45,a lot of things are to be done.We have to carry a lot of things in the car;breakfast,lunch,kudivellam,books,scripts etc etc.To make matters worse,the Tvm syndromme has hit here also.I mean the water shortage.Sometimes I have to collect some water from the borehole taps.All in all,I am on knife's edge,running here and there,occasionally looking at oopervale for mercy.Thanks to his blessings,I am never late at school,which is 35 kms away,but reachable in 30-35 minutes.School time starts at 7.30.

The oopervale is forgotten for the rest of the day,only to be remembered the next day,with the same devotion.

Today is the 9th of March in Kerala,but in reality,Kerala is 4 days behind the rest of the world because of the days lost due to bandhs,which caused unspeakable misery to the common people.Bandhs are anti-people,anti-progressive and anti-clockwise.It takes the country backwards,as against clockwise,which is normal and progressive.So let us call bandhs anticlockfoolish.

A TIME PIECE IN PIECES

In December 2009,I received a time piece as a gift from my Senior at the marking centre.She gave a Christmas card and a time piece to all the six markers in her group.Surely it was a token of appreciation for our punctuality and team work.Unfortunately,that time piece met a premature end.In the same month,my daughter Praveena,her husband Sibi and daughter Alyssa visited SA.Unnoticed by us,2 year-old Alyssa grabbed it,and dismantled it.The time piece ended in many pieces,and ,as usual,as a grandfather,I had to pick up the pieces.The oopervales were safe because they were out of reach of the toddler.

To coclude,I shall recommend a daily prayer to oopervale (St.Time)

Dear St.Time,be always with me
Wake me up early,free me from laziness,
Carelessness and indifference
Give me the wisdom to do things in time
Teach me to do things orderly
In order to reach my destination on time
Protect me from bandhs and hartals
From evertything that upsets you
From drunkenness,too much TV
Too much food and too much sleep
Help me to depart early
Together with you,hand in hand
Be my guardian angel
Jog with me,side by side
Not ahead,because I'm too weak
And slow,to keep pace with you.
Don't leave me behind,I beg you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

വൈഗ കൊലക്കേസ് (Viewpoint)

 കേരളത്തിൽ ഹാപ്പി ആയിരിക്കാൻ സാധിക്കുമോ? Yes ഉം No യും പറയാൻ സാധിക്കും. നമ്മുടെ പേഴ്‌സണൽ ചുറ്റുപാടുകൾ അനുകൂലവും ഹാപ്പിയും ആയിരിക്കാം. പക്ഷേ രാജ്യത്തു നടക്കുന്ന സംഭവങ്ങൾ വീക്ഷിക്കുമ്പോൾ മനസാക്ഷിയും മനുഷ്യത്വവും ഉള്ള ആളുകൾക്ക് unhappy ആകാനെ കഴിയൂ. പുതിയ സിനിമകൾ വരുന്നു, കുറേ കഴിഞ്ഞ് നമ്മൾ അവയെ മറക്കുന്നു. ഇതുപോലെയാണ് കൊലക്കേസുകളും. ഉത്തര എന്ന യുവതിയെ ഭർത്താവ് പാമ്പിനെ ഉപയോഗിച്ച് കടിപ്പിച്ചു കൊന്നത് രണ്ട് വർഷം മുൻപാണ്. കൂടത്തായിയും വാർത്തകളിൽ നിറഞ്ഞു നിന്നു.പുതിയ കേസുകൾ വന്നപ്പോൾ അവ പഴയ സിനിമകൾ പോലെ ആയി. ഇപ്പോഴിതാ വൈഗ കൊലക്കേസ് നാടിനെ ഞെട്ടിച്ചിരിക്കുന്നു. ക്രിമിനോളജി വീട്ടിലിരുന്ന് പരസഹായം കൂടാതെ  പഠിക്കാവുന്ന ഒരു വിഷയമാണ്. കേരളത്തിലെ കേസുകൾ പഠിച്ചാൽ മതി. ഒരു കൊലയാളി ഒരേ സമയം ഒരു മണ്ടനും ബുദ്ധിമാനും ആണ്. കൊല ഭംഗിയായി ചെയ്യുന്നതിനും തെളിവ് നശിപ്പിക്കുന്നതിനും അയാൾ ബുദ്ധിമാനാണ്. സ്വന്തം കുട്ടിയെ കൊന്ന സനു മോഹൻ ആ കൊലയിൽ ബുദ്ധി പ്രയോഗിച്ചു. പിടിക്കപ്പെടാതെ 27 ദിവസം പല സംസ്ഥാനങളിൽ കറങ്ങി. മൊബൈലും ATM കാർഡും ഉപയോഗിച്ചില്ല. എന്നാൽ കൊല്ലൂരിൽ ഒരു ഹോട്ടലിൽ  സ്വന്തം ആധാർ കൊടുത്തു. അത് മണ്ടത്തരം. ഹോ

കേരളത്തിൽ hotel room ദൗർലഭ്യം (satire)

 കേരളത്തിൽ തിരഞ്ഞെടുപ്പ് പടിവാതിലിൽ എത്തി .എല്ലാ arrangements ഉം OK. പക്ഷേ ഒരു problem. ടിക്കാ റാം മീണയുടെ ലിസ്റ്റിൽ പ്പെട്ട മരിച്ച വിശ്വാസികൾ, Devils, angels എല്ലാം കൂട്ടം കൂട്ടമായി ലാൻഡ് ചെയ്തു തുടങ്ങി. ഹോട്ടൽ മുറികൾ എല്ലാം നിറഞ്ഞു.ചിലരെ Home stay യിൽ accommodate ചെയ്തു. Room shortage പ്രോബ്ലെം solve ചെയ്യാൻഒരു ഹോട്ടൽ മാനേജർക്ക് ഒരു നല്ല idea തോന്നി. ഒരു Devil ന് allocate ചെയ്ത മുറിയിൽ ഒരു extra bed ഇട്ട് ഒരു മാലാഖ കുട്ടിയെ accommodate ചെയ്യുക. ഇത് കേട്ടപ്പോൾ Devils തുള്ളി ചാടി. പക്ഷേ മാലാഖ കുട്ടികൾ reject ചെയ്തു. പീഡനം ഉണ്ടാകുമെന്നാണ് അവർക്ക് പേടി. ഒരു മരിച്ച വിശ്വാസി താൻ പണി കഴിപ്പിച്ച5000square feet house ൽ ചെന്ന് സ്വയം പരിചയപ്പെടുത്തി. മരുമകൾ പറഞ്ഞു. " What the Hell are you talking about?നിങ്ങൾക്ക് വീട് തെറ്റിപ്പോയി. അവൾ ശക്തിയായി door അടച്ചു. Extra rooms ഉള്ളവർ അത് visitors ന് വിട്ടു കൊടുക്കണം എന്ന് collector ടെ അഭ്യർത്ഥന വന്നു. എനിക്ക് അലിവ് തോന്നി. ഞങൾ ക്ക് 3bed റൂം vacant ആണ്.18നും 25നും ഇടയ്ക്ക് പ്രായമുള്ള 12 മാലാഖ പെണ്കുട്ടികളെ accommodate ചെയ്യണം. എന്റെ മനസ്സിൽ നക്ഷത്

Mossel Bay യാത്ര -1

Port Elizabethൽ നിന്നും 336 kms അകലെയുള്ള ഒരു തീരദേശ പട്ടണമാണ് Mossel Bay. സൗത്ത് ആഫ്രിക്കയിലെ തീരദേശ പട്ടണങ്ങളും പരിസര പ്രദേശങ്ങളും ടൂറിസത്തിന്  വളരെ പ്രാധാന്യം ഉള്ളവയാണ്. Mossel Bay യിൽ നിന്ന് ഏകദേശം400 Kms പോയാൽ Cape Town ആണ്. കഴിഞ്ഞ വെള്ളിയാഴ്ച്ച   ഉച്ച കഴിഞ്ഞ് Mossel Bay യിലേക്ക് പുറപ്പെട്ടു. കാർ boot നിറയെ സാധനങ്ങൾ ഉണ്ട്. സൗത്ത് ആഫ്രിക്കയിൽ യാത്ര ചെയ്യുമ്പോൾ ജാക്കറ്റ്, സ്വെറ്റർ, shoes എന്നിവ വേണം. ഏതുസമയത്തും തണുപ്പും കാറ്റും ഉണ്ടാകാം. Cooking നുള്ള ചില സാധനങ്ങളും എടുക്കണം. അങ്ങനെയാണ് luggage കൂടുന്നത്. Mercedes C 180യിൽ ആണ് യാത്ര. നല്ല കാറും നല്ല റോഡും ചേരുമ്പോൾ യാത്ര വളരെ enjoyable ആണ്.നോക്കെത്താദൂരത്തിൽ നീണ്ടു നിവർന്ന് കിടക്കുന്ന ഹൈവേ. വളവും തിരിവും കയറ്റവും കുറവ്.120,140km സ്പീഡിൽ ഓടിച്ചുപോകാം. എന്നാൽ town കൾ അടുക്കുമ്പോൾ overspeed ആയാൽ fine ഉറപ്പാണ്. Police നിരീക്ഷണം ഉണ്ട്. റോഡിന് ഇരുവശവും കുറ്റി ചെടികളും കാട്ടുപൂക്കളും ഉള്ള ചെറു വനങ്ങളും Cattle ഫാമുകളും ഉണ്ട്.ചിലയിടങ്ങളിൽ മനോഹരമായ മലനിരകളും നീല കടലും കാണാം. ഈ പ്രദേശത്തിന്റെ ഒരു ഭാഗത്തിന് Garden Route എന്ന് പറയുന്നു