Skip to main content

"I'M GOING TO DIE (satire)

I'M GOING TO DIE (satire)

The events mentioned here happened in the year AD 2025.So there's no need of a disclaimer about persons living or dead.

On a fine December morning in 2025,I was preparing to start my fortnightly ritual of dyeing my hair.It was the 40th year of this practice,so you can easily guess my age at this point in time.The process
takes about an hour;so I was mixing the dye,watching TV news.The purpose
of dyeing in the morning was to youthanise (make younger),as there was a
wedding to attend that day.Suddenly,there was "BREAKING NEWS" as usual,with big font and a red background.

"HIGH COURT BANS THE USE OF HAIR DYES",the breaking news unfolded.The dish and the brush dropped from my hands.My heart beat faster."The Kerala
High Court has banned the manufacture,sale and use of hairdyes,because
scientific research has established that they are harmful to the health
of senior citizens.The order is issued with immediate effect.'

I was at a loss what to do.The use of the dye was illegal from that moment,and as a law-abiding citizen,I had to toe the line.But who was going to find what I was doing?So,with a heavy heart,I broke the law.As I
looked into the mirror and dyed,my age dropped like countdown seconds in
a Quiz contest,starting from 75,and dropping down to 40,settling with a mild shake.

Youthanising has some advantages.One day,when I was wandering through
Facebook like an "anatha pretham' (an unclaimed dead body),without any
likes,shares or comments,and nobody willing to chat with me,a beautiful
young lady's photo popped up,accompanied by a heavenly melody,that could
awake even the dead from the graves.

"Hai"
"Hai"
Pretty is typing.....
Hai,Chetta how's life?
Very nice.What about you?
Everything going very well.
Very thrilled to meet you.
Me too.
It's a great surprise.
What surprise?
To meet you unexpectedly.
No surprise. I was looking for you.
But I was dumbfounded.
Enne Ishtamayo? (Do you like me)?
Why ask? A million times.Enne ishtamayo? (Do you like me?)
Pinnallathe (definitely)
What impressed you about me?
Your thick black hair and moustache.
I was so stunned that I gasped for breath.I couldn't even type any more!

The news of the ban of hair dyes spread like wildfire,and about 250 Mala-yalam channels,which had mushroomed like the Communist 'Pacha'(weed) of the last century,started panel discussions,debates,sms campaigns,phone-ins etc etc.Senior citizens,doctors,hair-stylists,politicians,scientists
etc enthusiastically took part.

Very soon,the government started implementing the law.Otherwise,it would
amount to comtempt of court.Drug abuse and drug trafficking were no longer news in the world,because drugs were legalised in 2018.People got
fed up with drugs because there was no thrill (haram) in using drugs legally.The price of heroine dropped so low that it was available for 1
dollar per kg.

There were some redundant police personnel and police dogs,after the legalisation of drugs,and they were given fresh training and redeployed
to combat the use of hair dyes.The dogs were trained to sniff dyes at public
places like airports,railway stations,bus stations etc.

Slowly the country came of age,with a large section of the population displaying their true colours,silver white,grey etc.I continued breaking the
law because I had hoarded a variety of dyes,enough to last for a year.
General Stores,beauty parlours and barbershops were occasionally raided by
Special Anti-dye Squads (SAS),dyes were seized,suspicios-looking individuals'
hair was tested on the spot,and offenders were fined.

One day,I was travelling from Kottayam to Trivandrum by train.At Thiruvalla,the SAS boarded the train.There were police of both sexes,accompanied by a fierce black dog.The dog sniffed around. My heart nearly stopped.The dog began to growl and snarled its teeth.In the next moment,he barked and was on my seat,bit my hair,and dragged me out of my seat.
"Perhaps this young old man is a fake poovalan who teases the ladies on
trains",a lady officer commented.

I was arrested and fined Rs 5000-00 on the spot.The government of the day was so bankrupt that it taxed and fined the common people for the silliest
of reasons,such as laughing aloud in a public place.(Rs 500-00)The fines were
intended to find money to pay the mammoth civil service,which consisted of about 20% of the population.

Some of the disgruntled senior citizens shaved their heads,and wore hats to hide their shame.

But we were determined to fight for our rights.We hired an eminent lawyer
of the Supreme Court,Mr Narimanwallah,to file a petition in the High Court.
Narimanwallah's investigations unearthed a vital evidence in our favour.Dr Varkey,Scientific Advisor to the Government of Kerala,had purchased his PhD
from the pavement somewhere in Europe,for 1000 US Dollars.He had mastermind-ed the Anti-dye Bill.He had been politically appointed to placate a splinter
party in the ruling coalition.There was another angle to the case;Mrs Varkey
was the authorized importer of hats in Kerala,which she used to sell to senior citizens at 10% discount.

A full bench of the Honourable High Court of Kerala declared the ban on dyes
unconstitutional,and recommended the summary dismissal of Mr Varkey from his post.

I celebrated that historic day alone at my flat at Kanjikuzhy,Kottayam.I was
suffering from severe flu and throat infection.I had lost my vioce,and I could hear nothing.Leelamma was in Bangalore.Due to my inability to talk,we
comminicated via SMS.In the morning,she smsed,
" what's the programme for today?"
" I'm going to die.Today is the ideal day for it."
At that moment,I didn't realise that things were going wrong terribly.The chain of events that were triggered by a spelling error were narrated to me
later by a friend.It went like this:

Reading the sms,Leelamma collapsed.Others who saw the sms were panic-stricken,and swung into action.The news of an old man about to commit suicide
at Kottayam,spread like wildfire,and the 250 Malayalam channels vied among
themselves to catch a comfortable view of the fourth floor of Skyline Orchid 2 Apts,hitherto unknown and dwarfed by imposing skyscrapers nearby.Breaking News:Old man about to commit suicide." I had switched off the Tv long before
the fiasco.TV crews and curious onlookers,who were eager to see a suicide "live" flocked to the area,causing a severe traffic jam.

Some channels spread wild stories about me,such as bankruptcy and ill health
had forced me to take the hard decision to end my life,whereas I used to donate thousands of rupees to charities monthly,due to spare funds.

The firemen knocked at the door.There was no response.They broke the door and rushed in.They were quite surprised to see me alive.They showed me the
sms that set off the dramatic events.I wrote down the circumstances of the
spelling error.I had developed cataract,and could hardly see the letters on the small cell phone.I apologised,and they accepted it and happily went their way.

The Tv crews fled.Hundreds of 'alavalthikal'(scoundrels) who had gathered below,armed with their cell phones to record a suicide 'live',dispersed quickly,like "Andy kalanja annanmare pole'(like squirrels who dropped their
nuts).

I laughed at their folly,and my throat cleared.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

വൈഗ കൊലക്കേസ് (Viewpoint)

 കേരളത്തിൽ ഹാപ്പി ആയിരിക്കാൻ സാധിക്കുമോ? Yes ഉം No യും പറയാൻ സാധിക്കും. നമ്മുടെ പേഴ്‌സണൽ ചുറ്റുപാടുകൾ അനുകൂലവും ഹാപ്പിയും ആയിരിക്കാം. പക്ഷേ രാജ്യത്തു നടക്കുന്ന സംഭവങ്ങൾ വീക്ഷിക്കുമ്പോൾ മനസാക്ഷിയും മനുഷ്യത്വവും ഉള്ള ആളുകൾക്ക് unhappy ആകാനെ കഴിയൂ. പുതിയ സിനിമകൾ വരുന്നു, കുറേ കഴിഞ്ഞ് നമ്മൾ അവയെ മറക്കുന്നു. ഇതുപോലെയാണ് കൊലക്കേസുകളും. ഉത്തര എന്ന യുവതിയെ ഭർത്താവ് പാമ്പിനെ ഉപയോഗിച്ച് കടിപ്പിച്ചു കൊന്നത് രണ്ട് വർഷം മുൻപാണ്. കൂടത്തായിയും വാർത്തകളിൽ നിറഞ്ഞു നിന്നു.പുതിയ കേസുകൾ വന്നപ്പോൾ അവ പഴയ സിനിമകൾ പോലെ ആയി. ഇപ്പോഴിതാ വൈഗ കൊലക്കേസ് നാടിനെ ഞെട്ടിച്ചിരിക്കുന്നു. ക്രിമിനോളജി വീട്ടിലിരുന്ന് പരസഹായം കൂടാതെ  പഠിക്കാവുന്ന ഒരു വിഷയമാണ്. കേരളത്തിലെ കേസുകൾ പഠിച്ചാൽ മതി. ഒരു കൊലയാളി ഒരേ സമയം ഒരു മണ്ടനും ബുദ്ധിമാനും ആണ്. കൊല ഭംഗിയായി ചെയ്യുന്നതിനും തെളിവ് നശിപ്പിക്കുന്നതിനും അയാൾ ബുദ്ധിമാനാണ്. സ്വന്തം കുട്ടിയെ കൊന്ന സനു മോഹൻ ആ കൊലയിൽ ബുദ്ധി പ്രയോഗിച്ചു. പിടിക്കപ്പെടാതെ 27 ദിവസം പല സംസ്ഥാനങളിൽ കറങ്ങി. മൊബൈലും ATM കാർഡും ഉപയോഗിച്ചില്ല. എന്നാൽ കൊല്ലൂരിൽ ഒരു ഹോട്ടലിൽ  സ്വന്തം ആധാർ കൊടുത്തു. അത് മണ്ടത്തരം. ഹോ

കേരളത്തിൽ hotel room ദൗർലഭ്യം (satire)

 കേരളത്തിൽ തിരഞ്ഞെടുപ്പ് പടിവാതിലിൽ എത്തി .എല്ലാ arrangements ഉം OK. പക്ഷേ ഒരു problem. ടിക്കാ റാം മീണയുടെ ലിസ്റ്റിൽ പ്പെട്ട മരിച്ച വിശ്വാസികൾ, Devils, angels എല്ലാം കൂട്ടം കൂട്ടമായി ലാൻഡ് ചെയ്തു തുടങ്ങി. ഹോട്ടൽ മുറികൾ എല്ലാം നിറഞ്ഞു.ചിലരെ Home stay യിൽ accommodate ചെയ്തു. Room shortage പ്രോബ്ലെം solve ചെയ്യാൻഒരു ഹോട്ടൽ മാനേജർക്ക് ഒരു നല്ല idea തോന്നി. ഒരു Devil ന് allocate ചെയ്ത മുറിയിൽ ഒരു extra bed ഇട്ട് ഒരു മാലാഖ കുട്ടിയെ accommodate ചെയ്യുക. ഇത് കേട്ടപ്പോൾ Devils തുള്ളി ചാടി. പക്ഷേ മാലാഖ കുട്ടികൾ reject ചെയ്തു. പീഡനം ഉണ്ടാകുമെന്നാണ് അവർക്ക് പേടി. ഒരു മരിച്ച വിശ്വാസി താൻ പണി കഴിപ്പിച്ച5000square feet house ൽ ചെന്ന് സ്വയം പരിചയപ്പെടുത്തി. മരുമകൾ പറഞ്ഞു. " What the Hell are you talking about?നിങ്ങൾക്ക് വീട് തെറ്റിപ്പോയി. അവൾ ശക്തിയായി door അടച്ചു. Extra rooms ഉള്ളവർ അത് visitors ന് വിട്ടു കൊടുക്കണം എന്ന് collector ടെ അഭ്യർത്ഥന വന്നു. എനിക്ക് അലിവ് തോന്നി. ഞങൾ ക്ക് 3bed റൂം vacant ആണ്.18നും 25നും ഇടയ്ക്ക് പ്രായമുള്ള 12 മാലാഖ പെണ്കുട്ടികളെ accommodate ചെയ്യണം. എന്റെ മനസ്സിൽ നക്ഷത്

Mossel Bay യാത്ര -1

Port Elizabethൽ നിന്നും 336 kms അകലെയുള്ള ഒരു തീരദേശ പട്ടണമാണ് Mossel Bay. സൗത്ത് ആഫ്രിക്കയിലെ തീരദേശ പട്ടണങ്ങളും പരിസര പ്രദേശങ്ങളും ടൂറിസത്തിന്  വളരെ പ്രാധാന്യം ഉള്ളവയാണ്. Mossel Bay യിൽ നിന്ന് ഏകദേശം400 Kms പോയാൽ Cape Town ആണ്. കഴിഞ്ഞ വെള്ളിയാഴ്ച്ച   ഉച്ച കഴിഞ്ഞ് Mossel Bay യിലേക്ക് പുറപ്പെട്ടു. കാർ boot നിറയെ സാധനങ്ങൾ ഉണ്ട്. സൗത്ത് ആഫ്രിക്കയിൽ യാത്ര ചെയ്യുമ്പോൾ ജാക്കറ്റ്, സ്വെറ്റർ, shoes എന്നിവ വേണം. ഏതുസമയത്തും തണുപ്പും കാറ്റും ഉണ്ടാകാം. Cooking നുള്ള ചില സാധനങ്ങളും എടുക്കണം. അങ്ങനെയാണ് luggage കൂടുന്നത്. Mercedes C 180യിൽ ആണ് യാത്ര. നല്ല കാറും നല്ല റോഡും ചേരുമ്പോൾ യാത്ര വളരെ enjoyable ആണ്.നോക്കെത്താദൂരത്തിൽ നീണ്ടു നിവർന്ന് കിടക്കുന്ന ഹൈവേ. വളവും തിരിവും കയറ്റവും കുറവ്.120,140km സ്പീഡിൽ ഓടിച്ചുപോകാം. എന്നാൽ town കൾ അടുക്കുമ്പോൾ overspeed ആയാൽ fine ഉറപ്പാണ്. Police നിരീക്ഷണം ഉണ്ട്. റോഡിന് ഇരുവശവും കുറ്റി ചെടികളും കാട്ടുപൂക്കളും ഉള്ള ചെറു വനങ്ങളും Cattle ഫാമുകളും ഉണ്ട്.ചിലയിടങ്ങളിൽ മനോഹരമായ മലനിരകളും നീല കടലും കാണാം. ഈ പ്രദേശത്തിന്റെ ഒരു ഭാഗത്തിന് Garden Route എന്ന് പറയുന്നു