Skip to main content

WASHING MARY'S FEET ( DRAMA)

The characters

1.JOSEPH (60)   A CARPENTER
2. Mary     (21)   his wife
3.  Kunjappan Chettan (95)  a neighbor

A remote, mountainous village somewhere in Idukki. Joseph is working in his dilapidated work shop close to their small house 🏡 Enter Mary ,carrying a pot filled with water 💧 .Joseph helps her to put it down .Mary is 8 months pregnant .

            Joseph

Mary, how many times have I told you not to fetch water from the river. Why didn't you remind me?  In your present condition, you are not supposed to do hard chores. You take rest and leave everything to me

Mary

Don't worry. I am fit as a fiddle. Climbing the hill is a good exercise. Moreover, your hands are full.

JOSEPH

This is not a joke. My word is final. Take complete rest with effect from today. I have requested my niece Ani to come and stay with us to help you. She will be here anytime from now.

Mary

Chetta ,don't worry about me .I'm really worried 😓 about you .You haven't rested in your entire life .Remember that you are 60 .Time for retirement .You work 365 days nonstop ,for peanuts .

Joseph

Yes .I must retire .After the birth of our child 👶 .I must devote all my time to care for you .Mary ,bring me a match 📦 .(He takes out a beedi )

Mary

No.I won't .How many times have you promised me that you would give up smoking 🚬 .You broke that promise up to now .No more .No more compromise .

Joseph

Please ,Mary .Only one beedi
.It gives me concentration in my work .

Mary

No,no ,no .No excuses .Your smoking 🚬 will affect you ,me and our unborn 👶 .It's far more serious than you think .And it's time to give up your drinking of charayam .Today itself .

Joseph

Mary ,please .Please try to understand me .

Mary

No excuses or explanations .Liquor is poison ,and it destroys individuals and families .If you love me and our unborn 👶 ,you give up smoking 🚬 and drinking today itself .

Joseph

Mary ,please don't put me under pressure .I love you more than anything under the Sun ☀ .The charayam that I drink is pure ,brewed by me .

Mary

I told you ,no excuses and explanations .If you really love me ,this is the opportunity to prove it by giving up smoking 🚬 and drinking 🍻 .Otherwise ,your life would be cut short due to cancer or liver disease .

Joseph

Yes I know .

Mary

Then let us destroy the things .(she goes to the house and brings a bottle 🍶 of charayam .)
Give me that packet of beedi .
(Joseph gives her a packet of beedi .Mary destroys it ,twisting it several times .She goes out and pours the charayam on the ground .As she comes back ,Joseph notices that she is limping )
.
Joseph

Hey, what's wrong with your feet? Why are you limping?
(he examines her feet)
Oh, my God, your feet are swollen. Why didn't you tell me?


Mary

It's nothing, Chetta. I will be alright.

Joseph

No, no no. In your condition, nothing can be ignored. Let me apply some 🐯 balm. Sit down. Your feet are very 💩. ( he goes and brings a basin filled with water.He bends down and washes her feet. He is nervous and shy because he is not used to touching her. He wipes the feet and applies the balm gently. Enter Kunjappan Chettan)

Kunjappan Chettan

Hey, what's going on here?

Joseph

Mary's feet are swollen. Have a seat 💺 Chetta.

Kunjappan Chettan

Joseph, can I have a beedi?

Joseph

Sorry ,Chetta ,I gave up smoking .


Kunjappan Chettan

Why the sudden change ?

Joseph

I have given a solemn pledge to
Mary .

Kunjappan Chettan

Then give me an ounce of charayam .

JOSEPH

I gave up charayam too .It's not good for health .Above all ,liquor destroys the family

Kunjappan Chettan

Ha ,ha .Pure nonsense .I am 95,but still going strong 💪 .No family problems .

Mary

Chetta ,you may be an exception .

With all due respect ,let me explain it to you .Smoking and drinking create hell on earth .Every day,tragedies are unfolding .We have an unacceptable situation where some women don't know the whereabouts of their husbands .They only know when deaths are reported on TV .Women and children 🚸 suffer the most due to the untimely deaths of husbands and fathers .This must end .I shall make some black coffee ☕ for you .

Kunjappan Chettan

👌 .No problem .

CURTAIN




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

വൈഗ കൊലക്കേസ് (Viewpoint)

 കേരളത്തിൽ ഹാപ്പി ആയിരിക്കാൻ സാധിക്കുമോ? Yes ഉം No യും പറയാൻ സാധിക്കും. നമ്മുടെ പേഴ്‌സണൽ ചുറ്റുപാടുകൾ അനുകൂലവും ഹാപ്പിയും ആയിരിക്കാം. പക്ഷേ രാജ്യത്തു നടക്കുന്ന സംഭവങ്ങൾ വീക്ഷിക്കുമ്പോൾ മനസാക്ഷിയും മനുഷ്യത്വവും ഉള്ള ആളുകൾക്ക് unhappy ആകാനെ കഴിയൂ. പുതിയ സിനിമകൾ വരുന്നു, കുറേ കഴിഞ്ഞ് നമ്മൾ അവയെ മറക്കുന്നു. ഇതുപോലെയാണ് കൊലക്കേസുകളും. ഉത്തര എന്ന യുവതിയെ ഭർത്താവ് പാമ്പിനെ ഉപയോഗിച്ച് കടിപ്പിച്ചു കൊന്നത് രണ്ട് വർഷം മുൻപാണ്. കൂടത്തായിയും വാർത്തകളിൽ നിറഞ്ഞു നിന്നു.പുതിയ കേസുകൾ വന്നപ്പോൾ അവ പഴയ സിനിമകൾ പോലെ ആയി. ഇപ്പോഴിതാ വൈഗ കൊലക്കേസ് നാടിനെ ഞെട്ടിച്ചിരിക്കുന്നു. ക്രിമിനോളജി വീട്ടിലിരുന്ന് പരസഹായം കൂടാതെ  പഠിക്കാവുന്ന ഒരു വിഷയമാണ്. കേരളത്തിലെ കേസുകൾ പഠിച്ചാൽ മതി. ഒരു കൊലയാളി ഒരേ സമയം ഒരു മണ്ടനും ബുദ്ധിമാനും ആണ്. കൊല ഭംഗിയായി ചെയ്യുന്നതിനും തെളിവ് നശിപ്പിക്കുന്നതിനും അയാൾ ബുദ്ധിമാനാണ്. സ്വന്തം കുട്ടിയെ കൊന്ന സനു മോഹൻ ആ കൊലയിൽ ബുദ്ധി പ്രയോഗിച്ചു. പിടിക്കപ്പെടാതെ 27 ദിവസം പല സംസ്ഥാനങളിൽ കറങ്ങി. മൊബൈലും ATM കാർഡും ഉപയോഗിച്ചില്ല. എന്നാൽ കൊല്ലൂരിൽ ഒരു ഹോട്ടലിൽ  സ്വന്തം ആധാർ കൊടുത്തു. അത് മണ്ടത്തരം. ഹോ

കേരളത്തിൽ hotel room ദൗർലഭ്യം (satire)

 കേരളത്തിൽ തിരഞ്ഞെടുപ്പ് പടിവാതിലിൽ എത്തി .എല്ലാ arrangements ഉം OK. പക്ഷേ ഒരു problem. ടിക്കാ റാം മീണയുടെ ലിസ്റ്റിൽ പ്പെട്ട മരിച്ച വിശ്വാസികൾ, Devils, angels എല്ലാം കൂട്ടം കൂട്ടമായി ലാൻഡ് ചെയ്തു തുടങ്ങി. ഹോട്ടൽ മുറികൾ എല്ലാം നിറഞ്ഞു.ചിലരെ Home stay യിൽ accommodate ചെയ്തു. Room shortage പ്രോബ്ലെം solve ചെയ്യാൻഒരു ഹോട്ടൽ മാനേജർക്ക് ഒരു നല്ല idea തോന്നി. ഒരു Devil ന് allocate ചെയ്ത മുറിയിൽ ഒരു extra bed ഇട്ട് ഒരു മാലാഖ കുട്ടിയെ accommodate ചെയ്യുക. ഇത് കേട്ടപ്പോൾ Devils തുള്ളി ചാടി. പക്ഷേ മാലാഖ കുട്ടികൾ reject ചെയ്തു. പീഡനം ഉണ്ടാകുമെന്നാണ് അവർക്ക് പേടി. ഒരു മരിച്ച വിശ്വാസി താൻ പണി കഴിപ്പിച്ച5000square feet house ൽ ചെന്ന് സ്വയം പരിചയപ്പെടുത്തി. മരുമകൾ പറഞ്ഞു. " What the Hell are you talking about?നിങ്ങൾക്ക് വീട് തെറ്റിപ്പോയി. അവൾ ശക്തിയായി door അടച്ചു. Extra rooms ഉള്ളവർ അത് visitors ന് വിട്ടു കൊടുക്കണം എന്ന് collector ടെ അഭ്യർത്ഥന വന്നു. എനിക്ക് അലിവ് തോന്നി. ഞങൾ ക്ക് 3bed റൂം vacant ആണ്.18നും 25നും ഇടയ്ക്ക് പ്രായമുള്ള 12 മാലാഖ പെണ്കുട്ടികളെ accommodate ചെയ്യണം. എന്റെ മനസ്സിൽ നക്ഷത്

Mossel Bay യാത്ര -1

Port Elizabethൽ നിന്നും 336 kms അകലെയുള്ള ഒരു തീരദേശ പട്ടണമാണ് Mossel Bay. സൗത്ത് ആഫ്രിക്കയിലെ തീരദേശ പട്ടണങ്ങളും പരിസര പ്രദേശങ്ങളും ടൂറിസത്തിന്  വളരെ പ്രാധാന്യം ഉള്ളവയാണ്. Mossel Bay യിൽ നിന്ന് ഏകദേശം400 Kms പോയാൽ Cape Town ആണ്. കഴിഞ്ഞ വെള്ളിയാഴ്ച്ച   ഉച്ച കഴിഞ്ഞ് Mossel Bay യിലേക്ക് പുറപ്പെട്ടു. കാർ boot നിറയെ സാധനങ്ങൾ ഉണ്ട്. സൗത്ത് ആഫ്രിക്കയിൽ യാത്ര ചെയ്യുമ്പോൾ ജാക്കറ്റ്, സ്വെറ്റർ, shoes എന്നിവ വേണം. ഏതുസമയത്തും തണുപ്പും കാറ്റും ഉണ്ടാകാം. Cooking നുള്ള ചില സാധനങ്ങളും എടുക്കണം. അങ്ങനെയാണ് luggage കൂടുന്നത്. Mercedes C 180യിൽ ആണ് യാത്ര. നല്ല കാറും നല്ല റോഡും ചേരുമ്പോൾ യാത്ര വളരെ enjoyable ആണ്.നോക്കെത്താദൂരത്തിൽ നീണ്ടു നിവർന്ന് കിടക്കുന്ന ഹൈവേ. വളവും തിരിവും കയറ്റവും കുറവ്.120,140km സ്പീഡിൽ ഓടിച്ചുപോകാം. എന്നാൽ town കൾ അടുക്കുമ്പോൾ overspeed ആയാൽ fine ഉറപ്പാണ്. Police നിരീക്ഷണം ഉണ്ട്. റോഡിന് ഇരുവശവും കുറ്റി ചെടികളും കാട്ടുപൂക്കളും ഉള്ള ചെറു വനങ്ങളും Cattle ഫാമുകളും ഉണ്ട്.ചിലയിടങ്ങളിൽ മനോഹരമായ മലനിരകളും നീല കടലും കാണാം. ഈ പ്രദേശത്തിന്റെ ഒരു ഭാഗത്തിന് Garden Route എന്ന് പറയുന്നു