Skip to main content

A WASTED TRIP TO TRIVANDRUM ( SHORT PLAY)


The   characters

1  Kunjan  ( 45)      a rubber- log loading  worker

2  Ammini  ( 40)    his   wife

 (In  front  of  Kunjan's   small  house. It's  early in the morning.Ammini   is sweeping  the yard. Enter Kunjan,limping.
He  supports himself with a long stick. He has a bandage around his  right leg. He looks very tired,and in excruciating pain. His shirt is
torn, he
is unkempt, and he has no shoes. Ammini  doesn't recognize  him.)

                                Ammini

Hey,who is  there ?

                                 Kunjan

It's me,Kunjan, your  husband.

                                Ammini

Oh, my God! What happened  to you? I thought you are a
beggar.
                              Kunjan

What  happened to me beggars  description.

                              Ammini

Come on, tell the truth. Where  have you been for two days?

                                 Kunjan

It's a long  story. (he sits on a small bench). Have you got
anything  for breakfast ?

                                  Ammini

There's nothing. I have no money. And you left without informing 
me.
                                   Kunjan

I'm  very sorry.It all  happened.

                                  Ammini

What  happened? Tell me straight ,without beating about the bush.

                                   Kunjan

Ammini, please give me at least some  black coffee.I'm totally
exhausted  and hungry.

                                    (Ammini  exits )

I  have paid dearly  for my misadventure. I regret the moment that I
agreed  to go to Trivandrum to join the agitation against Mani Sar.
I  should have consulted Ammini. I am really a shumbhan ( idiot)

( enter Ammini  with a glass of  black coffee.He drinks it eagerly
and heaves a sigh  of relief)
                      
                                    Kunjan

Now I shall make a clean breast  of  what happened. I went on a trip to Trivandrum, to take part in the siege of the Kerala  Assembly, spearheaded by the LDF.

                                    Ammini
What's  LDF ?
                                   Kunjan

Lost  Democratic  Front.

                                   Ammini
Ok.Then,

                               Kunjan

We  laid siege  to the Kerala Assembly, to prevent Mani sar
from presenting the budget. In the beginning,it was real fun, shouting  slogans, beating drums, hurling abuses ,singing parodies
etc etc. Then chaos  broke out.Somebody had hurled a stone at the
police. It was hell let loose. There was water cannon, tear gas and baton charge. I was cornered by a cop,and severely beaten.I lost
my cell phone and my sandals. ..Havoo...it's  really  painful. I must
go to a Vaidyan ( doctor)  for massage.I am afraid, I can't go to work for at least one month.

                                  Ammini

Serves  you right. How many times have I told you not to follow
the words of the politicians, blindly and slavishly.They are pakka
liars and cheats. You took part in the failed 2013 siege of the 
Secretariat  to oust OOmmen Chandy,and came back with your tail between your legs! Was it not enough? വേലിയേൽ  ഇരുന്ന 
പാമ്പിനെ  എടുത്ത്  കോനകത്തിൽ  വെയ്ക്കേണ്ട 
വല്ല   ആവശ്യവും  ഉണ്ടായിരുന്നോ ? അനുഭവിക്ക് .

                                   Kunjan

Ammini, please, don't  rub salt on a wound.I have learned an
unforgettable  lesson. Forgive me.

                                   Ammini

What  about  your  expenses? Did they give you some money?   

                                  Kunjan
They  gave us free transport and  food. Kappa and beef. And they
promised R 500 per day. But now they say they can't pay because
the campaign  failed. What to do ?

                                   Ammini

For the last time, promise me that you will never dance to the tune
of any political party.

                                   Kunjan

( holding Ammini's hands )   I hereby  promise that I will never be a  puppet of any political  party. I will never join any campaign
for lost causes. Please make some hot water. Find some kuzhampu
( oil) and apply on my leg. Havoo...it's really hurting.

                                  Ammini

Don't  worry. I'll  do that.  

  (  Curtain )                               

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr KINDY CHOR'S KEYNOTE ADDRESS ( satire)

Excerpts   from  the  keynote  address    delivered  by  Honourable  Dr Kindy  Chor, founder   and  Rector  of   Kindy  Chor's  Academy  of  Thieves , on  the occasion of  the  first  graduation   ceremony of  the  new  graduates  in  the  various  disciplines such  as  B.F  (  Bachelor  of  Fraud ), BGS  ( Bachelor  of  Gold  Smuggling ), BB ( Bachelor  of  Blackmail ) etc ( A  big  hall , overflowing  with  people. Distinguished  guests  are  already  seated on  the  stage. Enter Dr Kindi  Chor, waving to the  crowds. All  rise, as a sign of respect. Dr  Kindi  Chor  indicates  to  the  people  to  sit  down .)    ...

The attack on Oommen Chandy-a Pravasi's perspective ( opinion)

The  attack on  Oommen  Chandy- a  Pravasi's  perspective   ( opnion ) The vicious attack  on Honourable  Chief Minister  Sri Oommen Chandy  at  Kannur, allegedly by CPM goondas, has shocked and  saddened  civilised , peace-loving  Malayalees  in India  and abroad. But , unfortunately, there are some people ,who are uncivilised anarchists  who celebrate ,rejoice, and justify  the cowardly and barbaric attack  on the Chief Minister. They are happy that , at least, one of them was able to injure Ommen Chandy, and of course there are others who regret that he escaped death. Such people can be found on the social media, making crude jokes about  Sri  Chandy's injury. It's  a true reflection of the scum that are baying for the blood of Oommen  Chandy. Some gutter channels play second fiddle to these  barbarians ! But  every  decent Malayalee...

A POEM FOR BAKOLOBENG STUDENTS

            A  poem   for  Bakolobeng    students  April   25th   was  a memorable   day  at  Bakolobeng   Secondary   School for   many   reasons. It  was the  last working  day of the  month  due to  a  long   weekend and  extended  special  school  holidays. For  me and  for Mrs. Visser, the  Principal, it was  our  last day  in our  careers. By  a  lucky coincidence, it was  my birthday. I   heard  that  the teachers, students  and the School  Governing  Body members  had  planned  a  special assembly  to  honour us. I thought  that the assembly  was  after  lessons, but  they  wanted to ...